Skip to content

How to Report Neighbour’s CCTV in the UK

This article is a collaborative effort, crafted and edited by a team of dedicated professionals.

Contributors: Muhammad Baballe Ahmad, Mehmet Cavas, Sudhir Chitnis, and Zhen-ya Liu.

✓ Verified & Tested Information

If you have concerns about how your neighbour is using their CCTV, you can report it to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) in the UK.


Neighbourhood surveillance can be intrusive and sometimes illegal, so it’s important to know the law and your rights if you have CCTV cameras pointed at your property. In this article, we’ll provide an overview of the legalities of CCTV systems in the UK and explain how to report a neighbour’s CCTV in the UK if you suspect that it is not being used in accordance with the law.

Overview of the UK’s CCTV regulations

In the UK, it is important to become familiar with the guidelines and regulations for operating CCTV cameras in a residential area. Knowing these is essential if you wish to report a neighbour’s CCTV system that you believe may be breaking the law.

CCTV (Closed Circuit Television) is regulated by the Surveillance Camera Commissioner (SCC) which oversees various powers granted to organisations under existing legislation across England and Wales. A code of practice covers all surveillance camera systems operated by local authorities, police constabularies, ports, transportation networks and other approved bodies.

The main purpose of the legislation is to ensure that any surveillance system operated within a public or private place complies with data protection laws and human rights laws when gathering personal information from individuals. The UK’s Data Protection Act 1998 states that personal data must be obtained only for specified purposes, use categories and legal basis reasons; must be accurate; kept securely; and complying with all conditions for its processing as detailed in the act. Consequently, any reports of neighbour’s CCTV systems must adhere to these rules or risk criminal proceedings or regulatory action for non-compliance.

Reporting CCTV to the Local Authority

In the UK, it is your right to report any CCTV installations that you feel may be invading your privacy. It is important to understand the correct way to report such installations to the local authorities. This article will explain the process of reporting CCTV to the local authority and what you can do to ensure your complaint is addressed effectively.

Contact the local authority

If you are concerned about a CCTV camera in a neighbour’s property, the first step is to contact the local authority. In England, Scotland and Wales, local authorities have wide-ranging powers to grant permission and serve notices on premises or land owners with CCTV.

Local councils can provide information about their own specific regulations as well as guidance on how to make your complaint. Depending on the local regulations, you may need to apply for permission for any CCTV installation, or there may be restrictions on the type of CCTV that can be installed in residential areas. The local authority will also contact the owner of the camera to fully investigate your complaint.

You should also check with your local police force if you need any further advice or assistance with making a report about a neighbour’s CCTV camera. As well as guiding you through the necessary steps for reporting concerns about Neighbour’s CCTV, they may be able to offer further advice based on their experience in dealing with such cases.

Provide evidence of the CCTV

In order to report a neighbour’s CCTV camera, the first step is to gather evidence that the CCTV is in fact being used in a manner that requires reporting. To do this, it is best to take photos or videos of the CCTV itself and any associated equipment or wiring around the house. Additionally, take note of any areas that are overlooked or monitored by the camera. This will help determine whether there are specific laws being violated with regards to the use of the camera.

It is important to note that many local authorities have laws requiring those using CCTV equipment for residential surveillance purposes to register with the police department and install warning signs when locating a camera within public view. Be sure that these requirements have been followed before submitting a complaint as failing to properly register and disclose can be seen as an offence.

Once you have gathered sufficient evidence with regards to your neighbour’s CCTV cameras, you can begin reporting it to your local police department.

Explain why you believe the CCTV is in breach of the regulations

It is important to be prepared to explain clearly why you believe that the CCTV camera has been installed in breach of the regulations. This will assist the local authority in assessing the impact of the CCTV on your privacy and helping them make an informed decision on how best to proceed.

Firstly, you should be able to describe how you were made aware that the camera was there, such as by sight or sound, or from someone else bringing it to your attention. Depending on where it is positioned and what type of equipment is involved (for example a CCTV system which allows for multiple cameras to be viewed at once) this could require specific evidence if not obvious from a passing glance.

You should also be able to explain why, in your opinion, you believe that it does not meet any of the requirements laid out by legislation (such as GDPR or Domestic CCTV guidelines). This includes highlighting factors such as whether consent was obtained from those visible on film; if the system has visible signs attached informing people they are being monitored; how much footage is collected and stored; how long this information is kept for; and if it’s proportionate to what’s being monitored. Make sure you can provide any evidence which supports your assertions where appropriate.

Reporting CCTV to the Information Commissioner’s Office

If you think your neighbour is recording footage of your home, garden or property without your consent, then you can report it to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). The ICO is the UK’s independent watchdog which enforces data protection and privacy legislation. In this guide, we’ll go through the process of reporting CCTV footage to the ICO. We’ll look at what evidence you need, how to make a complaint and how to contact the ICO.

Contact the ICO

If your neighbour’s CCTV is causing problems, you should contact the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). The ICO is the UK’s independent body set up to oversee data protection and privacy laws. They can advise on any CCTV laws relevant in your area and steps to take in dealing with a problem you may have.

You can contact the ICO by:
-Calling their helpline on 0303 123 1113 or 01625 545 745 Monday to Friday from 9am until 5pm.
-Emailing [email protected]
-Completing their online form
When contacting the ICO it is helpful to provide as much evidence as possible about the CCTV installation, such as photos or videos of it in use, its location, when it started operating etc to help them assess your complaint more quickly.

Explain why you believe the CCTV is in breach of the regulations

The use of CCTV in the UK is subject to the Data Protection Act. This means that it’s important to make sure that monitoring is limited and necessary for the purpose for which it has been installed. If you believe that your neighbour’s CCTV is not in compliance with the regulations, you should report it to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).

When reporting the CCTV to the ICO, you will need to explain why you believe the CCTV is in breach of the regulations. This could include any of a number of factors, such as equipment or systems being used without prior consent, or equipment not being used as secure and well managed as possible. You should provide any relevant evidence where possible (e.g pictures or documentation) and outline how long this problem has been occurring, if known. It’s worth noting that failure to comply with data protection requirements could lead to criminal charges and/or civil claims against your neighbour.

In order for a successful report, it’s important that your concerns are both specific and able to be verified. As such, providing an image of both the equipment being used (if possible) and details on how long this problem has been occurring would beneficial in this process. As well as this, providing evidence such as screenshots of any data breaches or any other information that can help support your case may be useful too – so consider these possibilities before submitting your report.

Provide evidence of the CCTV

Providing sufficient evidence of the CCTV to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) is essential in order to report neighbour’s CCTV cameras. If you are able to, it may be helpful to take photos or videos of the CCTV and keep records of any conversations or other data that suggests that your neighbour has an illegal camera in operation. You should also attempt to determine when the camera was first installed and how it is being used, i.e. whether live surveillance footage is taken or recorded for later viewing.

It is important to remember that all evidence provided should be direct and accurate, with reasonable explanation as to why it demonstrates non-compliance. The ICO will only action a complaint if it can demonstrate that there are reasonable grounds for taking further steps in relation to it; providing clear evidence of the specifics regarding your complaint can help ensure a successful outcome.

Seeking Legal Advice

If you feel your neighbour’s CCTV is breaching your privacy in the UK, you may want to consider seeking legal advice. It could be useful to know how to report the CCTV and what kind of action you can take. This section will explore the legal implications of having a CCTV camera in your neighbourhood, as well as some tips on how to proceed with reporting it.

Contact a lawyer

If you have determined you or other individuals have been subject to illegal or intrusive recordings through your neighbour’s CCTV, it is advisable to contact a lawyer for advice. There may be a range of legal remedies you should consider, such as taking action against an individual director of the camera’s owner. A lawyer can assist with understanding any breach of rights under the Human Rights Act 1998, or depending upon the recording, a breach of the Data Protection Act 2018.

Your lawyer can advise on how best to move forward if that right has been breached, which could involve discussing your options with your neighbour in an attempt to resolve the issue in an amicable way between both parties. If this is unsuccessful and legal action needs to be taken, then they will provide directions and guidance on how best to do this in accordance with UK laws and regulations.

Your lawyer can also advise if there is potential for any criminal proceedings against your neighbour based on what has occurred as well as advising you of other civil redress actions that could be pursued against them such as obtaining an injunction or compensation if appropriate and available under UK law.

Explain why you believe the CCTV is in breach of the regulations

In order for you to raise a complaint about the CCTV installed on your neighbour’s property, it is important to explain why you believe it is in breach of the regulations at hand. Generally speaking, in the United Kingdom, there are three sets of regulations governing the installation and use of CCTV cameras:

Data Protection Act 1998: This Act outlines that any images recorded by CCTV must be processed lawfully and fairly. They must only be used for purposes compatible with their original purpose, must be kept secure and individuals have a right to access information regarding them.

Surveillance Camera Code of Practice 2018: This code sets out twelve guiding principles that should underpin the use of surveillance cameras in public places and states those responsible for using surveillance systems should take reasonable steps to ensure such systems operate proportionately, effectively and transparently.

The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012: This Act contains a code of practice regarding the usage of surveillance camera technology as well as detailed rules covering overt filming and covert installations. It also provides individuals with a right to appeal decisions made by data controllers.

Therefore, it is important to understand which regulation(s) your neighbour may be breaching before bringing your case to court. For example, if they have not registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) then they may be breaching the Data Protection Act 1998 or if they are conducting covert surveillance without your knowledge then they could also be in breach of The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. In each case, it is important that you explain why you believe this is happening so that specific guidance can be given about how best to proceed with your complaint.

Discuss the legal options available

If you are concerned about the placement or usage of your neighbour’s CCTV, there are several legal options available to you.

Firstly, the data protection laws in the UK offer some responsibility to both individuals and businesses when collecting and storing data. You could discuss your concerns with your neighbour about their compliance with these laws, such as their permission for collection, what type of data (video) they are collecting, and how long they plan to store it.

You may want to consider seeking legal advice from a solicitor or local citizens advice bureau; if you choose this option they can provide more information on how best to proceed. It is also possible to complain formally using an enforcement order by making a formal complaint directly to your local authority’s Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). However the ICO will only investigate if you can show specific issues of concern that should be addressed such as misuse or lack of privacy rights.

Given the seriousness of this situation it is important that you make sure that any solution legally satisfies all parties involved, so please do seek professional legal advice before taking any action.


It is important to take all necessary steps to ensure that your neighbour’s CCTV is being operated in accordance with the law. If you believe that your neighbour has installed cameras that contravene UK law you should contact the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) as soon as possible. The ICO will investigate and advise how best to resolve the issue. If further legal action is required then a complaint can be made to your local council’s Environmental Health Service or the police, if appropriate. Before you do anything, it is recommended that advice and assistance from a solicitor experienced in issues concerning CCTV be sought, and any evidence collected should be documented and retained. Regardless of your particular issue with a neighbour’s surveillance, it is important to remember that all individuals have rights concerning privacy and protection from intrusion in their home or private space – and anyone invading these rights can face legal action.

How to Report NeighbourCheckout this video:

Share this Article